PO Box 14 Somerset, MA 02726
Procedure for 1 Pound (454 gm) of wool fabric or yarn:
1. Scour the fabric by machine washing in HOT 140oF (60oC) water, or by hand in a pot on the stove, with ½ tsp (2 gm) PRO Dye Activator or Soda Ash and ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Synthrapol per pound of fabric (454 gm, or 3 to 4 yards muslin weight fabric). Rinse thoroughly.
2. Make the bleaching solution below, in a stainless steel or unchipped enamel pot.
To 4 quarts (4 liters) of cool water add:
Should it be impossible to obtain the 35% strength of peroxide, try the following:
To 2 quarts (2 liters) of cool water add:
3. Heat the bath to 130oF (55oC) and turn off the heat.
4. Add the pre-washed fabric or yarn. Stir to ensure thorough saturation. Place a small plate or dish on fabric and add weights to make sure fabric remains below the surface of the bleaching solution. Water-filled glass jars with covers make excellent weights.
5. Allow to bleach for 16 to 24 hours in a room no cooler than 70oF (21oC); then pour off the liquid and rinse fabric well in warm water.
6. Neutralize the wool in a solution containing 1 Tbl (15 ml) of Acetic Acid 56% or 11 Tbl (165 ml) household white vinegar 5% per gallon (4 liters) of warm water for 10 minutes.
7. Rinse well and dry or squeeze out excess liquid and enter fabric into dye bath.
© Copyright 2002